Thursday, August 16, 2012

So I told my supervisor today...I wasn't going to but somehow I ended up in her office telling her. She is very excited for us and says she will "play dumb" with our manager when I end up taking a week or so off. I gave her the anticipated dates so she'll put me on the schedule on programs that are easy to get covered. I felt pretty relieved afterwards. In her words "people call in sick for a headache...I think going through IVF warrants using some sick time!" She said that if I was someone who called in sick a lot then she'd have to look into whether I could use sick time but because I never do, she'll turn a blind eye and not even bother looking into it. Oh, she is so nice! She told me that it took her and her husband awhile to get pregnant with their second so she knows the feeling of "wanting to die when you get your period every month". Yep, that's pretty much it! I hope I did the right thing by telling her but I just feel better about not lying to her.

I am so glad I started this blog...I have lurked blogs for years (I know, I know, so annoying) but never commented. Now it is so great to get comments and comment on other people's stories. Makes me feel so much better about all this. Nice to know I'm not alone! I should have done it sooner!

Oops, I didn't realize that it's almost 6 and I haven't started thinking about dinner. Better go!

6 comments:

  1. So glad she is beings supportive of your time off!! And the support is wonderful isn't it!! Its easier because the whole IF world bands together because we all understand what we are all going through - unlike some friends who just try to put themselves in your shoes. You never really get it til you go through it!!! Glad you started blogging my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you that things went well in the conversation with your boss. My boss handled it in a pretty similar manner. It was such a relief! I know how you feel. : )

    Also, I wish I had started blogging sooner too. I just started in July. It's such a lovely outlet for all this IF crap. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. An understanding boss can make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad things went well for you with your boss! That has got to be a huge worry off your shoulders.

    I agree about how nice the blogging is. I think I would go crazy without an outlet for all this IF stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody's situation is different - but I am really glad I told my boss honestly what was going on. I think I might have been able to squeak by without saying that it was IVF, but in my case being honest was the better choice, because like your supervisor, mine is willing to run interference for me if our director asks questions. It's a relief to know that she's got my back - one less source of stress in all this.

    ReplyDelete